Awesome friends telling other awesome friends what is up in the Library, specifically, the second floor balcony facing the parking lot.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

So many rules...

Found the main reading room at the New York Public Library.  It's really spacious. Tons of spots for laptops and what not, but who would have thought there would be so many rules about where you can and can not have a laptop or earphones for that matter?!

I asked the information desk for some help, and she insisted I go to the North Hall.  Got all settled in and everything, and then one of the security guards gave me a slip of paper. I thought he was going to tell me I can't be on Facebook or something. But no, it said you can't wear headphones because the area is strictly used for research and study.  I'm pretty sure my music wasn't even that loud. 

So I migrated over to the South Hall because you can wear head phones there.  I found a good spot, but then there was a sign that says no laptop docking here. Moving again...I was heading to the last tables but no, no laptop docking there either.  Finally, found a spot under the AC. It's so cold right here, but at least I have power for my laptop and music - the essentials to applying for jobs online. ;)

Rick & Madison or any of our followers - Are there any rules like that at the UP library?  Just curious.

3 comments:

  1. Now that you write this, there have been spots in the library that are designated for laptop usage. As for as I know though, nothing too crazy. I mean we do have the basement, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UHHHHHHH......I really don't think so. If people are too loud, we tell them to be quiet. I'm pretty sure i've seen people bring dogs in here. The only real rules are about the use of our facilities such as non-up people can't use our wireless internet because we aren't as advanced, and no one can check out periodicals except for special people like clergys and professors. ANd then stuff regarding like faxes if you aren't UP people and reserving study rooms. But when it comes to where you can and cannot work, literally, there is no rules. you can study wherever there is a laptop. But rick is right, when you make noise in the basement, people FREAK OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa whoa whoa...

    Who's bringing DOGS into the library?! Sheesh. Portland is a little to pet friendly sometimes...

    I think that makes sense for non-UP people to have all those rules because it is a university, but honestly, a public library?! I guess it's historical and needs to have certain rules. I just couldn't believe it when I got here.

    Some one next to me yesterday was asked to remove their feet off the chair. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete