Awesome friends telling other awesome friends what is up in the Library, specifically, the second floor balcony facing the parking lot.

Monday, May 17, 2010

PART ONE: Other libraries.

So I made it to my public library, and OMG! This new place is amazing!  They just moved it to a new, larger facility down the street from the original location, and I got to admit that the new building is fantastic! It even still has that new building smell! I'll definitely have to explore after writing this long awaited blog.

As Rick mentioned in his blog about his public library, it definitely feels weird being here and probably being the only college student graduate here (parents and the librarians don't count).  The high school students just got out of school within the past hour and a bunch of them are here homeworkin' it.  They've got about a week of school left.

I'm also like the only one with a laptop, which is totally different from UP since everyone brought their laptop with them. Sometimes the whole top balcony you could just see heads peering over laptops. It was always funny when Rick and I would notice a whole row of Macs...haha!  Kinda like this:

That was taken that one night with the dirt cups...hahahaha good time! ;)

Alright...so wow! Just noticed the stained glass windows here, and the image is books! How cool! I swear this library just got a whole lot cooler by moving to this new location...






So to start off this finale, let's glance at some other libraries locally (Portland area) and around the country...then bring it back to UP.



Remember when I kept going to the Multnomah County Library to do research for my capstone?  I really enjoyed going to that library and looking at magazines from the 1940s.  I know Rick really wanted to come with me for a field trip to this library, but we never got the chance.  One day buddy...you'll see the County Library.  It's really easy to get to, even from the Max - Bus 35 to Red, stop at like 10th.  Something like that.  Anyway, most of the time I drove down there (thanks Colin!).  Thank goodness there was a parking garage only a block away.  So here's the library:

Other libraries that I've seen include...

1. Harvard University - Widener Library
That one had a real interesting story, combining it with the Titanic. Crazy huh?  Didn't get to see the inside of that, but it was just cool being there.





2. Boston Public Library
Didn't get a chance to go inside this one either, but when I was in Boston for NACA Nationals, we passed by it a couple of times. It looked like a huge library! Looks pretty magnificent at night, eh? I'm not sure how it comes with the next one on this list...




3. New York Public Library
I didn't go to New York this year, but I did go to the New York Public Library when I was there during Spring Break 2009.  It was amazing!  They have a mini-museum, where my cousins and I learned about Art Deco, an art style that was particularly popular in the 1920s and 1930s.  You can see Art Deco all over NYC, especially in the Empire State Building and Rockefeller, since those skyscrapers were established during that time period.  Ah! LOVE HISTORY...guess that's why I was a history minor! Anywho...it was neat being there too!

4. McGill University in Montreal, Canada
During the summer of 2009, I studied abroad in Montreal, and sometimes my friends and I would head over to the library to hold some legit study groups.  I only went into one room in this library because it was HUGE, and I couldn't find the other rooms.  Anyway, this room had a study room in the MIDDLE of the room. It was blocked off with sound proof glass!  My friends and I liked to quote Anchorman when we were in there. hahaha Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the library. :(

5. UCSD
I forget which library I was in, but there was a TON of places for people to sit and do there homework.  Since I came to visit the week before finals, the place was CROWDED. Seriously. Every spot was practically filled.  I wonder if people who didn't even know each other were sitting at the same table...? Anyway, there were these cubbies with computers and were like the only spaces open, so I busted out my homework there.  Seemed more like a gigantic study area rather than a library. Where were all the books?

So of all these libraries, none of them had the same community feeling that the library at the University of Portland had.  Sure, our library wasn't top of the line like some libraries, but it was good enough for what it was.  It became like a second home to me, especially during my final semester at UP. 

I ended up spending more time there in one semester than any of my previous semesters at UP. I can't even fathom how many hours I've spent in the library.  It's so crazy, but nevertheless, I've really enjoyed it.  :)

This is the beginning of my closing posts to The Adventures of Rick and Tarra. Stay tuned for the next part.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww, Tarra.

    I'm a little jealous at how many libraries you've been too :P

    I've been to:

    Sno-Isle Public Library
    University of Washington Library
    University of Portland Library
    Concordia University Library

    Those 4 together don't even match up to the one's you've been to! Totally jealous :P

    Anyways, I'm excited (as are the other readers) to read the rest of your FINALE!! Take care :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn - this was awhile back. Like in high school, haha.

    ReplyDelete