Awesome friends telling other awesome friends what is up in the Library, specifically, the second floor balcony facing the parking lot.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Continuation from yesterday's post :)

As promised, I'm now sitting in the library sifting through the Encyclopedia of Christmas & New Year's Celebrations

If any of you would like to give this book a look the call number is: REF GT 4985.G79 2003

Because I don't want to look through the whole book, I've decided to just flip to three random places in it, ha.

Flip #1: Grandfather Frost
According to this during the era of Communist rule (1917-1991), Grandfather Frost became Russia's official winter season gift bringer. In other words - Russia's Santa Claus. Grandfather Frost first was known to symbolize the piercing cold of Russia's winters. Later though the image of Grandfather Frost had changed and gained a more kindly reputation. Unlike our Santa though, Grandfather Frost only gives gifts to the behaved children and simply ignores those that behave poorly (I guess that Communism for you, haha).

Flip #2: Christmas in the Philippines (A bit ironic)
Funny that I flipped to this, seeing as I am (and Tarra) Filipino. Something that I already knew was that the Philippines is one of the only Asian countries where majority of the people are Christian. Obviously this was because of the Spanish people brought Christianity over. Unlike the United Sates where Christmas season begins after Thanksgiving, in the Philippines the Christmas season begins on December 16. From December 16-24 there are nine morning masses known as Simbang Gabi in Tagalog, or in English - Rooster's Mass. Like an American Christmas, decorations are probably the most important part of the Christmas spirit (aside from the gifts ... haha). In the Philippines though the most cherished Christmas decoration is the parol, a star shaped lantern. Again, funny thing is my family and I have one that is hung up every year.

(Sorry if I've written a lot, there's just a bunch of stuff I didn't know) I guess Filipino parents don't have to worry about telling their children that Santa isn't real because most Filipino children know that the presents come from mom, dad, and friends. Although they know, many still regard Santa as a Christmas Figure.

Something I didn't know though is something called Holy Innocents' Day. I find it funny, so I'm actually going to quote it rather than paraphrase it, haha.
Filipinos observe December 28, Holy Innocents' Day, by playing practical jokes on one another. According to custom one cannot complain if one is fooled by a friend. In addition, anyone who succeeds in borrowing something on this day is not expected to give it back.
I find this rather funny because I did not know of this at all. I guess it's because I was raised here in the states, haha.

Flip #3: First Night
First Night is an alternative name for a New Year's Eve celebration that began in Boston in the year 1976. It was an event promoted as an alcohol-free, family-oriented New Year's celebration. Because it rapidly became so popular, there is now an organization by the name of "First Night"

The idea of First Night caught on so fast that cities that wanted to partake in "First Night" activities had to join the organization and pay a fee. As of now (according to this encyclopedia) 150 American cities host these festivities on December 31. These First Night celebrations have also spread to a number of locations in: Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom.


That's about it for today's segment of "Books you didn't know were in the library"

Stay tuned for more as I go on an excursion around the library to find more books that even some of the library workers don't know exist.

PS. I'm fully aware that my shirt is green as well as the book cover, this was no way planned out, it was just coincidental.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I had no idea there was a book like or library. I guess someone may want to write a paper on it or someone from the outside world wants to read about Christmas. Very, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :(

    I thought Santa was real for a long time and remember being really disappointed that those stockings were filled by my parents. But maybe that's because my dad always told me how he'd help Santa in the house since I couldn't figure out how Santa moved the couch since it was blocking the fireplace. Oh man...childhood memories.

    HAHAHAHA December 28. It's like April fools' day but not.

    P.S. Thanks for bringing it back to the Dirty Finch shirts...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the sad face is for my misconception of Santa Claus...

    Otherwise, this post is pretty awesome! Way to go on your first couple of solo posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Caitlin - I almost wanted to do some Chicago Style Citation because I felt like I was just copying information without giving any kind of reference. But I do give the title of the book as well as the call number, so I guess that's enough information, haha.

    @Tarra - My AP Gov teacher was the one that told me that Santa wasn't real :(

    Definitely though, childhood memories. As for the Holy Innocent's Day, you and I should definitely give that a go next year and see how our parents (your mom specifically) would react.

    I'm glad you found it a pleasure of me bringing back the Dirty Finch shirt. It had to be done, haha.

    ReplyDelete